Indian author Aravind Adiga’s debut novel “The White Tiger” has won him the Booker prize – Oct’08
So time for a Poll guys!
Yes. Yes. Yes. I am extremely proud that a fellow Indian has got the award and am very happy about it. So no comments like – ‘You should be happy about it since he is an Indian and do we care whether the book actually deserves an award or not.’
No global gyaan please! Vote for or against the book. Not for the man. And not because he is a fellow indian. And not for any other damn reason.
Since you’ve already hopped on to my blog, so smile. A bigggg smile! Yes. Like this.
Anyways I have been laughing ever since I read this in my mail box –
This is the actual radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. Radio conversation released by the chief of naval operations, 10-10-95.
CANADIANS: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision.
CANADIANS: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
AMERICANS: This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
CANADIANS: No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.
AMERICANS: This is the Aircraft Carrier US LINCOLN, the second largest ship in the United States Atlantic Fleet. We are accompanied with three Destroyers, three Cruisers and numerous support vessels. I DEMAND that you change your course 15 degrees north. I say again, that’s one-five degrees north, or counter-measures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.
The saga still continues. Okay so BA – the previous Sudoku queen has been officially dethroned. And the throne now goes to Mamma – the official Sudoku queen as of now.
I am a daily witness to sales pitches made to convince me to take up Sudoku. But you see how I am. Stubborn to say the least. No means a big NO. I have been told to try it once. At least once. This, they feel is enough to get me on to it. Now even Papa doesn’t disturb her. Because he knows that Mamma is doing a very important task. There is rarely a day when Mamma is unable to get through a particular game of Sudoku. God forbid, if something vice versa happens. We can sense it in the air.
Today when BA mentioned that one of her friend’s mom is also a Sudoku addict, you should have seen the glee on Mamma’s face. The Mamma brigade of Sudoku lovers.
Sometimes I feel like sending her for a national or international championship. Does anything like that even happen? I don’t know.
Talking about Mamma power, recently I came to know that an acquaintance’s 65 year old mom is learning to play the violin. It was quite difficult for them to get hold of a teacher. Guitar teachers are galore but it is relatively difficult to get hold of a violin teacher. Kudos to her! Its never too late to fulfill your dreams
Tagged by Sandeep to list down my quirks. Quirks ( ? )
Yes, my dear blog. You read it right. But do you have any, asked my blog.
Me to my blog: (singing) Dekho dekho blogie blogie, quirks apne tere liye laaye (To the tune of dekho dekho jaanam hum dil apna tere liye laaye)
Zooooooooom. Here I go:
1. I get bored easily. People find it very difficult to hold my attention for a long time. There are times when people talk and I listen and then I go in my so called world, eat notional paani puris/bungee jump, travel to Paris etc and come back without the other person even knowing about it. And answer/comment so nicely that the other person thinks that I actually heard all of it This usually happens when the other person tells me to only listen without talking. Its like if I don’t talk, I don’t live.
2. I turn somewhat deaf when I am reading. So when I get myself to read something, it deserves my full attention. People might be screaming around but it doesn’t matter. Its only my reading material that matters at that moment.
3. I have a fetish for pencil heels. And I have a few in different colors – so comfortable that one can even run in them although that is not advisable. Even if I don’t wear them so often. I go weak in the knees when I see a good pair of pencil heels. By good I mean those which look sexy and are super comfortable at the same time.
4. I am a complete water baby.
5. I need to have my ‘me-time’ in the morning. I don’t like discussions in the morning. I first need to sort out things in my head before I start my day. But if initiate a talk in the morning, then that’s perfectly ok.
6. I find joy in the small things than the big things. Big things bring happiness. But its the small things that bring joy and memories. Seeing a distant aeroplane with blinking lights late in the night (Yes, sometimes I like calling it that way) I like doing this more than having to travel in one. Flights are boring. Well more – non-sensical talks with family and friends where there is no agenda; we just hop skip and jump from one topic to the other. Besides that mix and match food to create a new dish. Getting drenched in the rains. Scolding my parents sometimes as if I am their grand mother and seeing them grin ear to ear.
7. Drama. A day without drama and the drama queen feels like it is a wasted day.
8. Irritating and pulling legs of my loved ones.
9. I am absolutely pathetic when it comes to returning calls. Except when it is family.
10. I get emotionally attached to things pretty soon. Old phone handsets. Friendship day ribbons even though it has been ages since I passed out of college. And more.
11. I don’t like spam. I need to delete it as soon I spot it. The same applies for dust. I need to get rid of it the moment I see it.
12. I need to be pushed and urged to get out and go and have fun. I am quite lazy that way. But once I am out, there is no stopping.
13. Until sometime back I used to think that I love shopping. But of recently I have come to realize that more than shopping I like getting things. So if someone takes the task of choosing and getting the best for me, I am more than happy.
14. Generally women like diamonds. I don’t. I prefer gold.
14. I am quite old fashioned. Be it art, jewelery, romance. Anything.
15. There are times when I am stingy even for a single rupee. And there are times when I might just blow up a thousand bucks because I want to. Moreover it should make sense to me. Or logic. Or plain ‘i liked it’.
16. I have a strong gut feel. If I don’t get good vibes from a person, I don’t talk to that person.
17. I don’t get along with dogs. Or rather dogs don’t get along with me. If I see a dog walking on one side of the road, I cross and walk on the other side. In short, I am petrified of dogs.
18. I don’t like anyone touching my face. Okay okay, except a few people who have bypassed this rule against my wishes. But I don’t complain. I just like it. They are my people after all.
19. I love talking. Just for the sake of talking. Many a times it is plain non sense.
20. I like watching cookery and food shows even though I don’t cook.
21. I totally hate planning for outing/holiday/eating out or whatever. I prefer that being taken care of by the other people. If I plan and then go, I am more in the planning mode. I don’t enjoy that at all.
22. I get scared easily. A silly horror flick which people won’t even term as horror is enough for me to sleep with the lights on for days. Or a simple mention of some horror tale. Thats it. And even a slight sound does the trick to scare me.
23. I need at least 8-10 hours of sleep daily else I get cranky.
24. I am quite a control freak. Be it work or home. I like things to be done the way I want.
25. Mid night snacks. People who know me know this thing very well. I get these atypical sudden urges to eat something out of the blue at any hour of the day or night. Generally the kinds pregnant women get.
Enough for now. Ah! I am tired. Many of my quirks are already there in my ‘about me‘ section. And moreover, I guess my knowledge about my quirks is much less as compared to what my people know about me.
So I tag: Neilina, Hana (whenever you get time), Bluemist (whenever you get back to blogging), Jayesh, Deeps, Vinod, Jaggy, RJ, Shivya, Rajeev Gandhi (I know you don’t have a blog. But since you drop in every now and then, you have to do it)
So WP has now come up with a Poll Button option. Thats the only colorful button on the ‘new post’ page.
Wonder why it took them so long to have this. Blogger has it since ages.
I am tempted to put it on my page. But what poll should I create?
I am thinking.
While I get something to eat, fill my ever hungry stomach and then think… anyone passing by, try making use of your brains and leave your suggestion. The best suggestion will have a post dedicated to him/her.
1 sardar nay aik jalti building say 6 log bahir nikalay. lekin phir bhe sardar g ko saza mili keon? r> keon k wo 6 log fire brigade walay thay
Don’t worry. I have not lost it. It is an sms that ICICI Lombard sent me. Nothing more, nothing less. I suppose the same must have gone to thousands of other people at the same time. For a moment I thought that maybe I had stored someone’s name as ICICI Lombard! But no.
BTW, what is the sms trying to sell? The sardar, the building or the fire brigade
- So the century old fasting got over. For the first time I was fasting for full nine days plus one more day of Thursday fasting. Not bad.
- Then a day full of eating aloo-cheese parathas and gobi parathas with butter. Yummm. I still can’t forget the first bite I had.
- Today it was Pizza for lunch. Mamma makes them tastier than any Pizzeria, Pizza Hut, Alfredos or whatever.
- I just realized that I haven’t done any shopping in a while. And that’s a really long time.
- As I write this, there’s a whiff of petrol from somewhere. Really like the smell of petrol. And Dettol of course. Can’t imagine my life without the smell of Dettol. Bas enough of exaggeration! I like these. That’s it. Can’t we call it fragrance instead
- Came across one more fake person this week. Or rather someone who just showed his true colors after years of knowing him. I am surprised at how people can put on a mask for such a long time. Or maybe thats the way some people are. They try to change the same very qualities in a person which they liked in you when they became friends in the first place. I am hurt by some curt words. I am very hurt. But never mind, to each his own. If beyond a point I feel that I can’t be myself with someone, I feel stiffened. Friends come, friends go, each relationship has a shelf life. The bitter truth. Thats what someone had once told me.
Haven’t been posting much in the last couple of days. A bit down. A couple of things gone haywire.
I have always noticed that some forwards pop up in your mail box just when you need them. You may have read them numerous times and stored it away but not remembering where. And many a times they are so apt and it feels like they were sent to you at that point in time just to pep you up.
Here’s one of them.
There are at least two people in this world that you would die for.
At least 15 people in this world love you in some way.
The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you.
A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don’t like you.
Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.
You mean the world to someone.
You are special and unique.
Someone that you don’t even know exists loves you.
When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good comes from it.
When you think the world has turned its back on you take another look.
Always remember the compliments you received. Forget about the rude remarks.
And always remember – Good friends are like stars. You don’t always see them, but you know they are always there.
Since my phone number is pretty old, it has by now done a few rounds of the entire world. Because of its old age you may feel like calling it the daadi (grandmom) number. Or maybe you can call it the dumping number because of the sheer number of SMSes that are sent and dumped by numerous entities.
People try to sell me insurance at least nine times a day (and night also). I know I know, almost a kilo of insurance companies have taken a fancy to our beloved country in the last two years. Add to that hordes of SMSes from financial advisors, numerous shopping malls, exhibitors, restaurants, institutes, AMCs, consultancies, song sellers, caller tune sellers and more more and more. And some more creepy stuff like ‘know your future – call and pay 6 rupees per minute’, ‘meet your dream match – call and pay 6 rupees per minute’. Crap.
On an average my phone beeps with this crap every 15 minutes!
Some of these companies have a habit of timing this bulk shit at 2.45 in the night. My phone beeps – me getting up in zonked state only to find out that they want to insure me or want me to meet my dream catch match.
Besides this, there is automated voice crap that calls me nowadays at 8.30 in the morning and greets me lovingly ‘Arre O Saambha’. What nonsense!
Nowadays I store their number under the name ‘Shit’. Now I have 30 plus numbers stored under this name. So every time ‘Shit’ calls, my phone starts saying ‘Shit, Shit, Shit’ in a firangi accent which even firangs won’t understand.
Its 3.55 in the night and I am just not feeling sleepy. I went to bed at around eleven. Tried to get sleep for almost two hours but couldn’t. So here I am, sitting right in front of the computer rekindling my so called affair with WP.
I am craving for parathas.
Loads of butter and an itsy-bitsy paratha somewhere below that.
Aloo paratha with cheese.
Gobi paratha with butter.
Moong paratha with with curd.
Namak mirch chatpata paratha with butter.
Just thinking about these is making me sit on cloud nine. And sing like Bryan Adams, in my song-less voice – Guitar in one hand and parathas in the other
Papa: Beta, yeh blog kya hota hai? Aajkal roz news mein aata rehta hai. Hamesha headlines ya breaking news mein bolte hain – Big B ke blog ke anusaar ye…. Big B ke blog ke anusaar wo….
Me: (Trying to act smart. Gives a wide grin. To myself – Bata bata, blogging ki naani! Me trying to act even more smarter. So, I have to now give Papa a smart answer so that he is proud of me, you know)
Me in a semi trance mode, thinking about the pani puri that I will have once my nine day fasting will get over.
Me: Papa, Blog is a Blog. I do it almost daily.
Me back to the world of pani-puris.
Papa looks at me as though he just heard that I take weed daily.
I pull myself out of my pani puri state and try concentrating on the task question at hand.
Me: (Processing the question) Blog is used for writing thoughts, views, daily happenings, etc. Its like a personal diary in public domain. On the internet. When people forget how to hold a pen and when they can’t find a paper, they write a blog. Say personal diary as in age old days.
Papa: Why does Big B do this? (Still wondering what the fuss is all about)
Me: So, Amitabh Bacchan (Or whatever that spelling is – Okay has Aishwarya Rai taken up the new surname. It must have been difficult for her to by-heart the new surname spelling) writes on this so called public diary called blog almost daily about everything – Kya khaya, kya piya, kabhi hasa, kabhi roya, kahan gaya, kahan nahin gaya, kya socha, kya nain socha. And a little bit of poetry, some humour, some things here and there on social issues.
Me: (I look at the TV and the TV channels are at it again! Good Lord! Where is the world heading?) So every time he writes even a word, which happens daily, it comes as national news, shrieking news, breaking news and they get fodder to last an entire day and feed the entire herd. And people line up and pretend to happily read them and express their views on things that are written. Its like Jungle mein Mor naacha, kisne dekha, kisne dekha; maine dekha, maine dekha.
It's like runs in a game of cricket - the higher the score, the better your ranking. Blogs are evaluated on a scale of 1-100, and the top ranks are in the range of 80-90. Several blogs may share the same rank.